Tuesday, November 14, 2006

5 more days! (fingers crossed)

Well, the day is quickly arriving. We went to the doctor yesterday. She checked my cervix. She said I'm still 1cm possibly 1.5 and I'm still only 50% effaced (thickness of cervix). It's been the same for 3 weeks. We talked about induction. There's a thing called the Bishop's Test where you have to score at least a 10 to get induced. The criteria is how far dilated you are, how effaced you are, how far the baby's head is down, etc. She scored me based on my numbers yesterday and said it was about a 4 maybe a 5 if we pushed it. She said that if we don't have the baby on Sunday, she would have us come in the next Sunday (Nov. 26th) at 4pm and then again at 10pm to put this gel stuff on my cervix to thin it out some more and then on Monday we would start the pitocin. She said if you're not dilated very much like I am, and start the pitocin, it could take 3 days to have the baby. So the gel stuff has a hormone in it to help get the cervix get thinner. She talked about stripping my membranes, so we ended up doing that yesterday. The bag of waters sits on the cervix and she put her finger up there and separated the two. It's suppposed to irritate the uterus and hopefully start some contractions. It hurt!!! I had some lower back cramps a tiny bit yesterday but that's about it. Today I had a lot of stringy pinkish mucous stuff coming out when I went to the bathroom. I think that should be a good sign!
The baby's been moving around a lot lately. It seems like for a few hours at a time he doesn't stop moving for more then a few seconds. I must look like a punching bag to him. I sure feel like one. Every once in awhile it really hits me that we're having a baby. It really freaks me out. Most of the time it doesn't seem real. I'm really nervous because I don't really know what to expect and every woman has such a different experience that it's hard to know exactly what it will be like. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I plan on posting all the details, so it might not be a good read for the squeemish! :) You don't really hear about the details of birth and the recovery period so I'm here to let everyone know! :) Maybe I'll change my mind when the time comes, who knows. Anyway, things are good. We've got our baby countdown on our white board. Hopefully it won't have to start into the negative numbers! I'll keep you posted with what happens in the next few days!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's happening so soon!! I'm glad you're posting the gory stuff. It's better to get a little squeemish than not be prepared for that kind of stuff.

Good luck!!