Saturday, November 18, 2006

Hospital Visit!

Well, I had the opportunity to go to the hospital. Both yesterday and today I've had a lot of discharge. A lot more than normal. It wasn't a gush like my water breaking but enough to soak my undies. I even made a wet spot on the sheets. Anyway, I was beginning to wonder if I had a leak in my water or something. I called my doctor and she thought it was probably just discharge but told me to go to the hospital and have them check me out just in case. So I went. I went up to Labor and Delivery and they put me into one of the delivery rooms and had me wear the sexy backless gown! :) An RN came in and put her glove on and put this rubberband looking think on her two fingers and then felt around my cervix (which hurt like the dickens). The rubberband thing is supposed to change colors if there's any amniotic fluid there. It didn't change so she said that she was going to let me sit for 1/2 hour and then come back and check me again. She said I was still 1.5 cm and now I'm 90% effaced! She asked me a bunch of questions that she put into her computer. She also put a baby heart monitor on my stomach and another monitor to see if I was having contractions. So she left and I watched tv. There was a Newborn station that just talked about different things. They were talking about breastfeeding. It really stresses me out. There's so much work to it. They talked about how if you don't breastfeed enough then your breasts get engorged and you could get plugged ducts which can turn into mastitis, which is very painful. When your milk first comes in you get engorged which really hurts also. Then there's the whole pumping thing and storing it and all that and you have to feed every 1 1/2 to 3 hours. It made me think that I should be grateful for my situation right now where I don't have to worry about that yet. It seems like I'm always looking forward to the next stage in life and not enjoying what's going on right now. So the RN came back and checked again and said the same thing-- that it wasn't amniotic fluid, so she sent me home. It was kinda fun to go to the hospital. That sounds weird, I know, but it all just doesn't seem real and that kinda was a reality check. Anyway, so here I am hours away from my due date. I really don't think he'll come tomorrow. I have my next appointment on Monday and I'm going to have her strip my membranes again. Hopefully that will get things going. I don't think I can wait another week and I certainly don't want to work either! More later. . . . .