Friday, February 13, 2009

Some Updates

Happy Friday the 13th everyone! I'm a little relieved Makayla wasn't born today. :) We are still at the hospital and doing well. Makayla is still in the NICU. They took her off the respiratory mask last night and she's doing fine breathing on her own. With any type of complication in delivery (like having the cord around the baby's neck THREE times), they automatically give the baby antibiotics, so she is still on those for now and has no sign of infection that we know of. Because she was away from me and on the respiratory stuff, they gave her an IV and we're now trying to ween her off of that and doing more breast feeding. Tyson or my mom has been wheeling me up a floor to her so I can breastfeed her. Each time I do that they check her blood sugar levels and then reduce the amount of fluid from the IV if the sugar levels are ok. This morning she was at 11 cc/hour and right now she is down to 3 cc/hour. We want it to be zero. So by her next feeding she will hopefully be off the IV altogether, which means she can be down here with me! She is latching on really well and is acting really hungry. My milk hasn't come in yet, which is a little frustrating because she's ready for it, but she's getting a few drops of colostrum (pre-milk) at each feeding, which is supposedly enough. Newborns' stomachs are the size of a marble so they don't need much. This morning she had a heart murmur, which is where an artery in the heart doesn't close all the way and too much blood gets in. They don't seem worried about it and the cardiologist is supposed to do an ultrasound on her heart to make sure it's doing ok. The frustrating part of that is they don't know if he'll be here tonight or tomorrow. Since it's not an emergency, they won't page him and we'll just have to wait until he decides to show up. :) So that's where we're at right now. We're hoping we will both be able to go home tomorrow around noon. Makayla is so precious. I love her so much and I'm so excited to get to know her better. I still can't quite figure if she looks like Lawson or not. It's a bit early to tell. She has darker hair than him and her eyes seem to be blue, but most newborns' usually are. :) She is really sweet. The nurse says everyone who walks by her bed says she looks like the Gerber baby. :) She's perfect and I'm so grateful to be able to be her mom. I truly have been blessed with an awesome little family so far. I'm also sooooo grateful for my mom, Tyson, and Cicily for all the help they've been. I'm still feeling great and can get around on my own pretty well. I even took a shower on my own today! :) I have some more pictures I'll be posting later. The camera is over on the chair and I'm too lazy to get out of bed and get it. :) Anyway, stayed tuned!

1 comments:

the Arpkes said...

Congrats on your sweet little girl! She is adorable! I hope everything goes well for you and her. Dawson had to be in the NICU because he would stop breathing and I was a wreck. I hope she gets out soon! Take care.