Thursday, May 28, 2009

Just a Couple of Fatties...

I've never really been much of an ice cream person. I'll eat it but it's not something I crave like I do with chocolate. I can't quite remember how it started-- I think it was with a Peanut Buster Parfait from Dairy Queen that Tyson brought home one night. We decided to try and make our own. I called up the cooking queen, my friend Sam, and she gave me a recipe for hot fudge that we tried. Well, let's just say I really really like homemade Peanut Buster Parfaits! We have had them almost every night for the last couple of weeks!! (keyword- almost because if it really were every night, that would just be disgusting! haha!). Tyson decided he wanted to try homemade caramel, so here I sit, waiting for the caramel to be done so we can gorge ourselves with deliciousness (I already made the hot fudge). If you're interested in the recipe here it is. I have it memorized!!
2 TB butter
1/3 cup water
1 cup of sugar (oh yeah!)
3 TB cocoa
2 TB corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
Melt the butter on med-low then add all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil while stirring and boil for 5 minutes. Let it cool for about 30 minutes (we've found it's the best then).

Well, caramel's done. I can hear myself getting fatter!

4 comments:

Sam said...

you'll have to let me know how the caramel turns out... that is one I'm still working on perfecting :)

The Thompson Family said...

I love homemade fudge topping, my mom would make it when we were young. I am definitly going to try it, good thing I have fat free ice cream haha.

The Thompson Family said...

try these, my friend says they are great. I haven't tried them yet but will soon!

Chocolate Pancakes
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 2/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Combine sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and oil. In a separate bowl combine the rest of the ingredients. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto a medium heat griddle or nonstick skillet. Cook until bubbles form on top, 1 to 2 minutes, then flip and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.

Justina Selim said...

Mmmm that sounds yummy!!